It’s been too long since we’ve had a recipe post! I saw this cute meal over at xoJane for Farfalle & Parmesan and knew I had to modify it. I did and it was yummy. We’re doing a Recipe Remix to make it more filling and nutritious.
– 1 and a half cups cooked pasta: farfalle, penne, linguine
– 6-9 mushrooms: baby bella, cremini, etc. by preference
– 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped (or more to taste)
– 1 Tbsp each extra-virgin olive oil and butter to drizzle
– basil, oregano, cilantro or rosemary – fresh if you have it
– shaved parmesan or goat cheese to taste
– add a protein: organic tofu or meat (grilled chicken)
– add greens: swiss chard, kale, spinach, asparagus, peas or edamame
– add rainbow peppers for a splash of color
– sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
Wash and slice mushrooms and peppers. Frozen vegetables work very well for this type of meal and is budget-friendly. You can add them to the pot half-way through your pasta cooking. Drain in a colander, mixing a few spoonfuls of hot pasta water with the olive oil/butter combo as a light broth to coat.
Options: Substitute regular pasta for whole wheat or spinach pasta. Or switch it out entirely for quinoa. You can also add cream of mushroom soup and 2% Greek yogurt to make a sauce reduction for a heartier dinner if serving as a main dish. I also like adding a little garlic powder and perhaps black olives, but this comes down to preferences. Add more pasta and you can use the leftovers for lunch with a side salad. ENJOY!