Update: For the New York Governor’s race Andrew Cuomo won but as the son of a former and often popular Governor how difficult was that? Well…the Tea Party/Republican Carl Paladino got 35% of the vote by directly stating racist/sexist rhetoric and if you were to go around numerous Upstate New York towns/cities and specific neighborhoods you’d see lots of big signs for that type of constituency that he appealed to: less educated, working class, ethnic whites. Of course the choice between two candidates who share the same ethnicity might be a case study in class warfare but it also ensures their group’s needs will be met regardless. Sometimes “opponents” are actually working inc concert with each other to create further gains for their group. And that’s how those groups THRIVE!
The CA Guv race sees career politician Jerry Brown as the winner while Senator Barbara Boxer keeps her Senate seat. One of the odd dichotomies with California is how people falsely assume it’s a liberal state especially when Republican candidates usually win for Governor. Brown has held practically every elected office in the state (Attorney General, Mayor, etc) so we’ll see what happens after the debacle the downstate voters caused when they voted for Ah-nuld. One politician I’ve personally had a keen interest in Kamala Harris has won her race for Attorney General as the outgoing DA for San Francisco I watched her implement a policy that tried to offer corrective programs to reduce crime without automatic incarceration to certain populations. The jury is still in deliberation whether she’s another Cross-over Negro politician or will be an effective leader in a state with less than 6% black population to begin with – but representation is dwindling in areas that count and we need more black women candidates for certain. San Francisco was unique in that there was a woman-helmed Fire Department, Police Department and District Attorney’s office all at the same time.
The main concern now is that the Republicans now control the House. of Representatives. That’s where all the MONEY is people.
This is going to be a really bumpy ride folks. If the Democrats couldn’t move past the Republican united stonewall when they had control of the House, Senate and White House what makes anyone think the Obama administration is going to get anything done now?
I will probably come back to update my observations about specific races – California and New York Gubernatorial results come to mind, along with the Senate seats up in the air.
I’m also very curious about what the black voter turnout will look like? Sometimes the best thing to do is stay home and not vote. Heresy I know!
The question for black women is:
- Where are you now in comparison to the last election? The last administration?
- As the largest percentage voting block for Obama (65%) do you see tangible evidence of a return on your investment?
- Why did Obama not even bother to nominate a black woman (such as the more than qualified Kimberle Crenshaw) to the Supreme Court? Check my archives I was howling about this more than a year ago!
- How have BW positioned themselves to benefit from this administration SPECIFICALLY not as a by-product (i.e Trickle-Down Theory). WE KNOW HOW INEFFECTIVE THAT WAS!
- Will you be mostly satisfied if all this administration can claim is that Michelle Obama (Sasha & Malia) were the the brown faces in a high place as First Lady & First Daughters?
- Are you prepared for the coming tide of backlash from the ultra-ultra right wing faction of the Republican party aka the Tea Party sending up their candidates and running them against “moderate” Republicans i.e. some who still use a minimum of common sense?
- Have you heard of the 2012 Project? Their focus is on slightly older women but we need women who are as young as their mid-20’s! Also, there are other organizations that help train people to run for office.
Are you going to be a bystander, waiting and hoping for change or someone to “do right” by you or will you actively protect your interests AND stop supporting those who are using your resources at your expense giving you nothing in return but empty promises and fear-tactics?
Also check out the Center For American Women And Politics.