I wasn’t in any particular rush to write about Baker for my African-American (Women) Series Spotlight – not because I don’t think she’s fabulous – but because she’s already so famous. Then I saw this photo that Nichelle posted to Vintage Black Glamour via Vintage Beauties and literally swooned!
STYLE GAME: PROPER!
First of all, la Baker looks every bit the coquette, with such allure as if she’s walking on lily pads floating in a pond. Then there’s her gorgeous gown that drapes and hugs her figure. Can you just imagine how good that fabric (is it silk or satin?) feels to the touch! Love the hood! Finally, her makeup is flawless and amazing!
I would totally rock that look TODAY! Cue the Klymaxx song: The Men All Pause. This is how you conquer the savage beast and rule the world. Nary a picket sign nor admonishment needed…..
There are numerous biographies on the exploits and achievements of la Baker but I want to highlight a few choice tidbits for you:
1. She renounced her US Citizenship after she settled in France
You know what? I don’t blame her one bit. It was a rather difficult time being an African-American in your own country (still can be — but nothing like it was back then!).
Lesson: Go where you are appreciated and leave behind the haters
2. She was a spy for the French Resistance during WWII
OMG ~a real-life heroine and superwoman who wore dresses, heels and pearls. She didn’t sacrifice her personal happiness for a “cause” though. Speaking of…
3. She married interracially and lived well.
She did after all have a legit reason to hate white people but clearly allowed for individuals to prove their loyalty.
Lesson: Love knows no boundaries so don’t limit yourself
4. She became a mother to many, her very own “Rainbow Tribe” of kids way before….Angelina.
5. Her castle, the Chateau de Milandes is still operational in the Dordogne region of (southern) France. In fact – you can go visit it!
6. Hasn’t it been confirmed that Nikita’s code name Josephine was an ode to la Baker?
I’m still over the moon about her eye makeup in that photo. How’s about a smoky eye tutorial via Sephora?
I hope you enjoyed the latest installation of the AA Legacy Series and you can catch up on the previous chapters below: